Natural stone pottery is elegant, timeless, and durable. When you encounter natural stone pottery, the difference is visible. Plastic, concrete or other types of pottery may get the job done, but they will not last as long and do not enhance your architecture and landscape in the same way that natural stone does. Natural stone is not only beautiful décor, but it actually adds both perceived and real value to your home. Natural stone pottery can stand alone as décor or be used as a planter. Additionally, you can incorporate natural stone pottery to both indoor and outdoor architectural décor. When well-cared-for, natural stone pottery can last decades and even centuries. Below are 3 ways to properly care for your natural stone pottery.
- No Harsh Chemicals or Cleaning Products
- To care for your natural stone pottery, you should never use harsh chemicals or cleaning products. Many of the chemicals in store-bought cleaning products can stain or permanently damage your beautiful natural stone. Natural stone is inherently durable so it can withstand most conditions and weather naturally if so desired. If your natural stone pottery is inside, simply occasionally wiping it down with water may be all it needs. Pottery can develop algae or mold, particularly when placed outside or near damp environments. You can make a bleach solution with water and a very small amount of bleach to clean algae or mold off of natural stone pottery.
- Seal It to Preserve Original Appearance
- Though not necessary, if you prefer the pristine appearance of your natural stone pottery when it first arrives, you can seal it to preserve the appearance. Ask the manufacturer for instructions for proper sealing to ensure the sealing process is done correctly and safely for your stone. You may have to re-apply the seal every year or every few years to continue to maintain the original appearance.
- Hands Off!
- Many customers love the weathered or naturally-occurring patina that can happen to natural stone over time. If this is the case and you want to see how your stone naturally weathers over time, it is best to minimally clean or completely leave your natural stone pottery alone. Natural stone is very durable and can last centuries, gradually developing its appearance over time. Harsh and frequent cleaning is simply not necessary and if your stone is left unsealed, it will develop a completely unique and beautiful appearance all on its own.